Contributor: Erik Verzemnieks, MD
- Important to realize complications can occur in the post-opioid overdose patient regardless of cause
- Narcan administration has been associated with non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema, although the mechanism of this is not quite known
- Symptoms include progressive shortness of breath and hypoxia.
- Treatment is with positive-pressure ventilation and diuresis, similar to cardiogenic causes
- Though rare, it would appear this typically resolves with treatment
Jiwa N, Sheth H, Silverman R. Naloxone-Induced Non-Cardiogenic Pulmonary Edema: A Case Report. Drug Saf Case Rep. 2018;5(1):20. Published 2018 May 10. doi:10.1007/s40800-018-0088-x
All by Erik Verzemnieks, MD